Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Passive Programming!

Okay, so I understand that there are certain situations or times when doing an active and more in depth program is just not possible. Maybe your staff is stretched too thin, you do not have time, or there is not a dedicated teen space. In this instance, what do you do with all those teens just hanging out in the library? The answer is.... Passive programming! So what is passive programming? Passive program is something that the teens can access and use easily and without a whole lot of staff supervision.  I am sure many of you have heard of this, but here are some suggestions that may help!

For crafts, I recommend things like perler beads, beads, duct tape, scrapbooking, or puff paint.

For games I would suggest things like chess, uno, cards, or dominoes.

These things can all hold teens interest for a bit of time, give them something to do, and keep you free to do other things about the library! Passive programming is a good thing to develop in your library and I would love to hear some suggestions on other things that could be a passive program! Send me an email or comment dstates@yorklibraries.org

Dawn states: I like making duct tape bow ties!

No comments:

Post a Comment