Thursday, May 28, 2015

Food Science: Honey, a sweet success

I talked about how we were doing honey science here at the library, but I did not mention how it went because we had not done the program yet. It went really well! We had a smaller group of teens, but most of them were really invested in learning about honey and what makes it so special. I got to share with the teens why honey never goes bad, different tasting honey, what density and viscosity is, and of course honey cookies.
These things were all exciting for the teens, as some of them knew that honey never went bad but did not know why that was and some of them had honey before but never different flavors. It was great to expose them to these aspects of honey and I think the information will "stick" with them. (Especially the flavors of honey, wildflower was unanimously voted as a bad flavor. Who would have guessed!)
Honey cookies was a great way to end this science, and they noted some differences in flavor and wanted the recipe to take home and continue making these cookies! If anyone wants this recipe, the links, or the handouts I used, please feel free to email me at dstates@yorklibraries.org
Also, check out these great photos from the science provided by one of our teens!
Dawn states: I am stuck on putting honey in my tea!

One of my teens took some awesome photos, but there is one in there of me checking my notes and some other silly madness! Cracked me up!




























No comments:

Post a Comment