Monday, May 18, 2015

Food Science: Sneak Peak

So I really do have the coolest job. This past Thursday I got to spend my time baking cookies with honey, making a density column, testing the viscosity of honey, and taste-testing honey. Why, might you ask? Well, because we are doing another food science, this time with honey!
But why honey?
Because the teens asked for a food science related to foods that do not go bad. After much thought,(and not wanting to resort to fast-food chain burgers) I decided on honey. Honey does not go bad and has been known to have some amazing properties like wound healing! While these sorts of things tend not to lend themselves to library-science capabilities, things like taste-testing and cookies do!
There are lots of different recipes that use honey instead of sugar, multiple flavors of honey (just check out Dutch Gold!), and plenty of ways to make a density column! Check these things out and make something awesome!
I called this a food science sneak peak because while I used the honey cookies I baked to advertise the upcoming food science with the teens, I have not actually done all of these science things with the teens. I tested them myself and it went great, but it may be another story with the teens! Dawn states: stay tuned for more on honey science!

No comments:

Post a Comment